Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A Florida Gal's Tips for Running in the Heat!

I read an article the other day in one of my dad's old marathon training books (beginning to piece together a training program), and came across how temperature can affect your pace and when it is too hot to run. I had to laugh….

85 degrees or higher: Don’t even bother.

So whats a girl to do who loves to run (outside) and lives in Central Florida aka heat and humidity central. Its not uncommon for a day to be in the upper 90’s and 100% humidity. Driving your car which is a moving sauna will get you sunburned, walking to the mailbox requires a shower afterwards, which leaves running to be probably not the smartest decision.

How does one run in these conditions? Dedication!

1.       Run early, or late in the day. (if you want to run outside)

Check the forecast the day before and plan your run accordingly. I like to be finished with my runs by 7:30am at the latest, when the sun is starting to cook the pavement. Or, run after dusk/dark when it begins to cool down.

2.       Hydrate! 

I like to shoot to drink a gallon of water a day. Yes, water, not coffee/tea/soda. These will de-hydrate you. Limit them. I like to also drink a NUUN tablet in about 32oz of water after a run/throughout the day. nuun.com It has electrolytes and helps to hydrate you!

3.       Wear light and loose fitting clothing.

These are my current favorite running tops: Here! loose, breezy, comfy! Paired with a pair of shorts, and a light colored hat I am all set to go.


4.       Cut your mileage. 

Since it is so much hotter, the heat puts a strain on your body to compensate and sweating more will de-hydrate and tire you much faster. Marathon training in the summer may work in cooler climates, but I wouldn’t recommend it here unless you plan to use a treadmill. I run more often, and shorter distances. This is also a good time to cross train, and maybe even try some yoga!

5. Protect yourself from the sun!

I am very pale, so sunscreen is a must plus a hat or sunglasses! Running tans are cool, running burns are not.


Remember these tips, and take it easy! Heat REALLY affects performance, don't let it get you down!

Keep running friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment