Friday, June 5, 2015

The First Mile Always Sucks

Seriously, I don't think there is a runner out there that will tell you that they enjoy the first mile. I run early in the morning, I'm tired, my legs are not awake, and I just don't want to do it. But I put on my favorite podcast (currently the Rich Roll Podcast www.richroll.com ) and I make myself do it, because I know after that first mile I will find my groove, and I usually do.

However, today was not that day. Today was one of those days that nothing goes right on your run. Legs are sore/tired, breathing heavy, feeling sick, the whole enchilada. I just told myself 3 easy miles, and I would be home. 3 miles later I was home, stretching, and glad that I had finished.

YOU NEVER REGRET A RUN. Unless you injure yourself, then maybe.

Post-race running slumps are real people, and I am in one. I'm like, "Why run? I don't have a race rapidly approaching, I can take some time off." Oh no no no. I am still planning my weekly miles and sticking to it, because like I have done before I DO NOT want to start back at square one and have to solidly build back up my mileage. Yes, I am taking it easier and not running for time or a lot of miles, but I am incorporating more strength/tempo/fartlek work to make myself a better runner when the next races comes up. I am also signing up for fun runs, like an easy 5k and a 5 miler just to keep things interesting and giving me something to work towards! See the link for all you Central Florida runners! http://www.usantc.com/lace-it-up-series/

When the running gets tough, keep on running! You will never regret a run :)

Keep running, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment