Tuesday, November 17, 2015

St. Augustine Half Marathon

Following my Marathon training plan, this past week called for a 13 mile run, and I decided I wanted to race it and found the St. Augustine Half Marathon to perfectly fit into my plan! 

My dad (aka biggest running supporter) drove up to Orlando and picked me up Saturday morning for the trip. We got to St. Augustine at lunch time and headed to our favorite little cafe for lunch. The Manatee, recommended for all! Healthy, delicious, and lots of vegan options. We got the hummus and tabbouleh appetizer, a veggie burger and vegan Reuben to split. Carb loading at its best, plus I'm always starving.


The Reuben above, veggie burger below! Dad got a side of quinoa veggie soup and I opted for fruit.


Afterwards, we checked into our hotel, and walked to the expo to pick up my packet for the race the next morning. We walked down the historic area to St. George street amongst the many little shops and got a pumpkin pie Popsicle from my favorite Popsicle place!

Then, we strolled to the fort and made our way back to the hotel where we tested a bit before heading to sushi to carb load for the morning. I got a cucumber roll and an avocado roll, very tasty. 

Before I knew it, I was waking up for race morning! I got dressed, ate my banana and cold brew coffee, and drove to the race. We over compensated how long and busy it would be and were there pretty early. It was a small race of only 1,200 runners which is my favorite kind of race. I ate my honey stinger waffle right before the start and we were off at 7am after a moment of silence for Paris. 






The run began at the Fort and traveled over the famous Bridge of Lions to Anastasia Island. I was feeling amazing, so thankful for my safety, my many blessings, my father who is so supportive in every single thing I do, my body for being strong and allowing me to run, and living in a country that I can freely run in! The race turned over a huge bridge, .25 up, and then an immediate turn around and back over the bridge. Not fun. Then the race continued through the National Park of beachfront Anastasia Island, breathtaking sand dunes and streets covered in mossy trees. My knee began to flare up and send shooting pain at mile 9 but I dug deep and pushed through set on setting a PR.

The last 4 miles flew by, I started out running way too fast almost a minute faster per mile than I wanted, and eventually slowed down towards the end. One more time over the Bridge of Lions, past the fort and finished with a PR of 2:06:27!!! A 7 minute PR for myself, which I am so proud of. After my horrible long run the week prior I really didn't know that was possible. But when you believe in yourself, anything can happen! And I am hungry for that Marathon in January.



A post run breakfast of tofu scramble at The Manatee Cafe, and we were headed home. Shout out to No Meat Athlete for the perfect new race shirt!! You can find it here: store.nomeatathlete.com





Peace and running friends :)


No comments:

Post a Comment