Monday, November 2, 2015

A Monumental Weekend in Washington DC

Traveling is my absolute favorite thing, my heart bursts with happiness in exploring new places, cultures, food, nature and climates. Last weekend I had the opportunity to experience a milestone in my sisters life: Tara ran her first marathon.

My family flew into DC from three different locations, and after regrouping we headed out into the city. Our first lunch was at a popular restaurant I had found in my research: Busboys and Poets. The restaurant itself was really interesting, it was named for Langston Hughes who worked at the Wardman Park Hotel as a busboy before he became a poet. Overall the feeling is artistic, murals and inspirational quotes on the walls, the servers all with their own quirky personality, and actually a bookstore too! Their menu is very eclectic from brunch, to burgers, pizza, quinoa bowls, and even falafel and vegan friendly with vegan items marked. I ordered the beef sliders which were delicious alongside sweet potato chips (you know I can't get enough.) I did not take a picture of this, but the next day we went back for brunch and I got the vegan scramble along with fruit, toast, and sausage! So delicious, with multiple locations I recommend everyone vegan or not try it.

I won't bore you with minute by minute recollections of our travels, I will highlight my favorite parts. 

The Newseum, a museum I hadn't been to before that highlighted monumental moments in history as well as the history of the news, from newspapers to radio, and TV based news shows. My favorite exhibits were the Berlin Wall, 9/11 section with the antenna from the World Trade Center, and the Vietnam War exhibit.


^Well recommended to all!

The night before the Marine Corps Marathon, we met up with my moms brother's family for a pasta dinner so Tara could carb load, and we're off to bed early. My dad took my sister to the start while I ran, and then my mom and I met my dad along the mall to see her at two locations. Seeing the runners made me so excited for my upcoming half and full marathon, and the energy was amazing. Everyone was so supportive as well as all the marines handing out water and keeping the spectators along the curbs. We saw Tara around mile 17 & 18, and she looked strong (other than a butt cramp.)

 We literally raced to Arlington to get through security checks to see her finish, of course I cried as usual. I had previously cried just thinking about her finishing the race! I am beyond proud of her, she has always been such a fantastic runner and cross country racer and to be there to experience that with her made my heart swell with happiness.

Her post race request was Native Foods, a popular all vegan restaurant with locations around the US. We got the nachos to share with my family, and I had  a burger although I can't remember the exact name. 
We did go back again for lunch before heading to the airport, and we had the nachos again, I had tacos, and the best chocolate cupcake I've ever had on the house since we were regulars. 

Here are some random pictures from our other adventures:




A wonderful weekend and family trip indeed. So thankful for these times we can be together. Many more trips in our future, and I hope if I enjoy my marathon I can come back and run Marine Corps next year! Oorah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment