Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Eating Vegan

Day in and day out I get the question, do you get enough protein? How do you have energy to sustain a run on a vegan diet?

It’s really, not that hard at all! I believe that eating in human's most natural form is plant based, contrary to popular "caveman" and "Paleo" belief. As humans, we are not born with the tools to kill and eat animals that carnivorous animals are. We do not have sharp enough teeth, claws, and are not agile enough to on our own without tools (have you ever seen a lion shoot or stab its prey?)

As a busy 20 something running, working, and eating, I like to eat as simply as possible since I don't have a whole lot of time to cook. Some of my staples:

Fruit and as much as I want!
I start everyday with a banana, along with some blueberries or strawberries, granola and cashew milk. Ezekiel bread, peanut butter, oatmeal, and tofu scramble are some of my other favorite breakfasts!


For lunches I like salads with as many veggies as I can fit, and a nutritious and healthy dressing to liven it up. I loveeeee The Goddess and Lemon Tahini dressings from whole foods. I crave them and cannot wait to have a salad! Putting beans, avocado, hummus on salads adds a good source of protein as well as nuts. I like making hummus and veggie wraps/sandwiches, leftovers from dinner, I really don't count any sort of calorie/fat/protein I simply eat when I am hungry and I eat as simply plant based as I can.

Dinners are never too complicated; by the time I get home I am starving and want to eat asap! I love to throw together big salads, top with tempeh, make rice and bean bowls topped with all the fixings to make it "Chipotle" style, sweet potatoes, chili (I like Amy's canned chili if I don’t have the ingredients to make my own. I also like to make tofu scramble with Whole Food’s mix, a block of tofu, and whatever veggies I have to add! So delicious, filling, and nutritious! Great post run meal.

Thanks, Dandelion Cafe for your $5 Giddyup Mondays!


Here are some staples, most you can find at a local grocer, Whole Foods, or health foods store. 
·        Organic fruits and veggies
·        Kale
·        Spinach or spring mix
·        Shredded carrots for salad
·        Whole Foods Goddess and Lemon Tahini Dressing
·        Tofu Scramble Mix
·        Nuts (unsalted)
·        Dried fruit (with no added sugar)
·        Ezekiel Bread
·        Bearly Naked Granola
·        Silk Cashew Milk
·        Silk Soy Vanilla Creamer
·        Beyond Meat Products
·        Hummus
·        Tofutti Sour Cream
·        Daiya Cheddar Cheese
·        Amy’s Organic products
·        Puffin’s Cereal
·        Amy’s Popcorn
·        Kombucha
·        So Delicious Ice Cream: Coconut milk, Almond Milk

I don't restrict, I eat what I want, when I want. If I feel sore, I eat a little more proteinstretch, and rest! That's really the magic formula :) Friends, if you have questions leave me a comment! I love to share.

As always, keep running friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment