Wednesday, September 21, 2016

When Your Race Doesn't Go As Planned

You get upset, and you move on. As a “new runner,” although I have run a bunch of 5ks, 5 half marathons, a full marathon, and regularly run; I would describe myself as a new runner. I have never ran for time, more so to complete the distance and for the mental clarity it brings me. after running regularly for about three years now, I decided to up my game and set new goals for myself and to improve my speed and stamina. One of those goals was to run my 10k race in under 54 minutes, just under an average pace of 9 minutes per mile. No, this isn’t generally fast but for me it was. I trained (maybe not enough speed work), and I was fairly confident I could accomplish it. this goal fed into my next goal, running a sub two hour half marathon on October 8th.

Waking up for the race at 5am I could already feel my body yelling at me after spending too much time on my feet the previous two days, and taking a very intense yoga class the morning before. I got up, dressed, had coffee and my pre-race rice cake with peanut butter and banana, and headed out the door. I was immediately smacked in the face by the heat and humidity that had been absent for the last few days, not a runners friend. After a train ride, running a mile from my train stop to the start (with a bathroom stop at the McDonald’s Times Square) I had made it to the start. The race was set up to start and end at Pier 84 on the Hudson River. After checking my unnecessary jacket, I headed to the corral to take part in the warm up and we were off at 7am! My body was yelling at me. My leg’s felt like lead and my stomach was a sloshy mess. The first three miles I made in sub 9 minute pace like I was hoping, but then I realized it just wasn’t my day so I pulled back and tried to just enjoy it. My body just did not want to run, so I did my best and crossed the finish in about 57:30, and I moved on.




I headed to the celebration area, got my adorable free t-shirt, some snacks, a bag, and a blender bottle. Exhaustion hit me, and I headed home. Now, this was not at all the race I hoped for. No, I probably was not fully trained to reach my goal time (something I really need to work on- speed training), and I cant help that my body was just not having it. As runners, we have to realize that not everyday is a great day, and we cant perform 100% every day. These races are given to us to appreciate the times that running feels like skipping through a cloud, and be thankful for the amazing feat that we have the gift and ability to run. Maybe I am not a runner; maybe I am meant to be a yogi. However, running makes me very happy. So I will continue to do it for the mental clarity and “runner’s high” rather than specific goals. And when I do not make my goals, I will not be disappointed but blessed that I could even try.




Keep running friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment