Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Moss Park Forest Run Recap!

Wow. Just wow. I get it now trail runner friends… and I am officially addicted! A few months ago, I found this race while scouring the Internet for a fun summer race (not an easy task in the heat of Central Florida!) So, on a whim I signed up for the “Distance Dare” trail race, which consists of a 10k run that must be completed in under 75 minutes, and then running the 5k race when it begins. I had planned to find some trails and train there… however that didn’t happen due to pure laziness and time constraints with my morning runs.

So the night before I was very nervous, full of doubt whether or not I was even capable of finishing the 10k in under 75 minutes (I can easily run under an hour on pavement), but for some reason didn’t have much faith in myself. So I ate a good pasta meal, set out my gear, and went to bed early for my 5:00am wake up!

Hopped out of bed, made some coffee, chugged a glass of water, and hit the road! I ate a banana (my chosen pre-race fuel) about an hour before the race as well as had my coffee. I only drink coffee prior to running if I can finish it over an hour before I start so it will not mess up my tummy. It was very very dark arriving to the park, very little lighting. After parking I made my way to register, put my key in my belt and we were off! The loop was 3.1 (5k) miles long, so for the 10k we ran two loops. I had registered for the distance dare and had to complete the 10k in under 75 minutes in order to be finished in time to start the 5k afterwards. The race began on the paved road, and after about half a mile transitioned over to the sand like trail. It was pretty wet and muddy from the rain the night prior, but I thought it was a fun addition :)





I felt great, and kept up positive affirmations throughout my run (I don't race with music, etc.) Before I knew it I was done and crossing the finish, in 1:00:23.7 which was a little slower than usual due to the nature of the trail and the mud! I was very pleased with my time and got some water while I waited for the 5k to begin. I ran the 5k purely to add the miles and for fun, so I took my time and enjoyed the beautiful park and scenery. Afterwards, I grabbed some fruit and checked the results... only to see that I had placed 3rd in my age group for the 10k! I was shocked... I walked to my car to get my phone for a picture with tears in my eyes. I couldn't believe that I would be getting a medal for placing in RUNNING, a sport I still don't believe I am even skilled at!



I had a nearby runner take a picture of me, walked around the park and headed out. SUCH an amazing runner's high... and I am officially an addicted trail runner :) I plan to run trails on a regular basis now, and do many more off road races!



Remember friends, if you trust and work hard and most of all BELIEVE anything is possible!


Keep running friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment