Wednesday, August 23, 2017

I Run for Me

After crossing the sacred finish line, the first question most people (runners and non- runners alike) will ask is “What was your time?” Granted, the sport of running and racing is based on trying to run the distance as fast as possible. Many set goals for themselves to run a sub 4 hour marathon, to Boston Qualify, etc. However, running to me may sound strange to many of my racing friends and the running community that is constantly trying to get faster. I run for the pure sake of enjoyment and the fulfillment it brings me.

Personally, I don’t like to feel uncomfortable or like I am straining myself when I run, so I tend to run pretty slow. I am a proud middle to back of packer. Running is my alone time to simmer in my own thoughts and wrestle important decisions with myself as there is nothing else to do but put one foot in front of the other and be in your head. I began running in college as a way to cope with stress, bad relationships, and as I could no longer Figure Skate as I did growing up. I would run a 3 mile loop around the UCF campus and try to convince my friends to do it with me in the sauna like Florida heat. Gradually, I ran my first half marathon (at Disney World of course) and although I enjoyed it I told myself at the finish I would never run a full. Fast forward 3 years later I was crossing the finish line of my first full overcome with so much euphoria and the realization that “I can do it,” that I couldn’t even breathe or see the last few steps. Immediately on my runners high that evening, I put my name in for the lottery of the NYC Marathon hopeful that maybe I would be there one day. Although I did not get in that year, I am thrilled to say that this November I will be running the five boroughs (and as a NYC resident!)

Running at a slow, comfortable pace is what brings me joy in running. Rather than focusing on my discomfort I can think about my blessings, my life ahead of me, take in my surroundings in nature, and pray. Morning runs work best for my body; straight out of bed and hitting the pavement. My head is clear, the day is new and quiet before the hustle and bustle of the big city. It starts my day on a positive and refreshing note where I can take time for my gratitude practice and say some prayers before a busy and successful day.

In January of 2016 I ran my first marathon. My marathon debut was probably the best day of my life, I ran my own race, took my time, made friends with my pacer, and finished knowing that I wanted to do it over and over again. Every time I start to compare myself to those that are faster than me, I bring myself back to that moment and remember the satisfaction I had with myself and that no matter how slow I did it, I was part of the 1% of the population that has run 26.2 miles.


Here I am now, training through the sticky heat of the summer for the New York City Marathon on November 5th; unquestionably the largest and most exciting road marathon in the world. My goal is to finish with a smile on my face and take my time enjoying the sights, sounds, and high fiving the spectators along the way. So if you ask me my time, don’t be disappointed with I just tell you with a grin that I did it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment