Monday, August 22, 2016

Running and the City

Since moving to New York City, people always ask me, "Where do you run? Aren't you constantly stopping at lights?" In actuality, NYC is one of the most pedestrian friendly cities to run in. You can get anywhere, from any of the boroughs to any point in the city, all on foot.

I have already mapped out my "go to" running routes around my area, for quick morning or easy runs and a track nearby for speed workouts. The biggest plus about morning runs (typically around 5:30am), are that there are very few cars so I can easily avoid stopping at lights and can do my runs almost completely non-stop, and avoid the summer sun! During the summer months, the sun rises around 5:30am so it is already bright out and I have no need for a safety light. However, it is starting to stay dark until almost 6:15am (usually when I am getting home from my run) so I bring a little clip on light with me that blinks to alert people and cars I am coming. I ALWAYS feel best getting my runs in before work, it sets my day up feeling my best, thinking most positively, allowing myself time to see friends or go to events after work, or... to come home and Netflix and get in bed at 9pm (fave.)

Those mornings that I just can't drag myself out of bed, I lightly pack my Osprey Daylite backpack for work, wear my running shoes to work, and then change and run home from the office. I live in Queens but work in Manhattan, so my run commute is the perfect distance for a short after work run (about 4 miles even.) I also get to run over the Queensboro Bridge which I think is absolutely stunning and boasts views of the East River, Roosevelt Island, and if you turn around mid-bridge, a stunning view of the Manhattan skyline. For these runs I take it pretty easy and call and talk to my parents on my run, listen to music, and just reflect on my day and my immense blessings.

I HIGHLY suggest this backpack for anyone that wants to do a running commute, a light day of hiking, or to simply carry more than a belt can on a run. I purchased this at Paragon Sports in NYC (available online as well) for $50.00 which I thought was extremely reasonable in contrast to many competitor packs. Here are the dimensions: 13 L, 18H X 9W X 9D IN., and weights only 1 LB! It has a pouch in the back to fit a large Camelbak bladder and on the strap a place to thread the drinking tube through so it stays in place. There are two adjustable cross body straps that are fantastic; this backpack does not bounce on me at all and is amazingly comfortable. I have had zero issues, used it to commute carrying Tupperware, wallet, an umbrella, my clothes from the day, and water. I even got caught in a torrential downpour and it kept everything inside dry; a pleasant surprise. I have also gone biking and traveling with it and it holds enough for a weekend away.
Osprey Daylite

My favorite place to run has to be Central Park because of its majestic beauty, history, and is a runners paradise. There are miles of paved roads, trails, hills, and many different running terrains. An area I highly recommend is The Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir, which has a 1.58 mile running loop around the beautiful lake with views of both the East and West side of Manhattan. It is perfect for runners, walkers, and fall strolls. For a longer run, the Outer Park Drive Loop is 6.03 miles with many hills and views of the four sides of the park, different neighborhoods, and the many areas the park has. Certainly the best part about the park is that there are running and biking lanes throughout so you are not interrupted and safe! There are many races during all seasons of the year taking place in the park as well as other events, something for everyone to find to do runner or not! I will post a map of my favorite route soon.




 A smoothie bowl after a long, hot run :)


Thankfully, the dog days of summer running are coming to an end. This will be my first time experiencing the coming of fall, changing of the leaves, and cooler running temps (Florida was consistently 70 degrees or higher all year.) So any tips on apparel I may need for fall or winter are greatly appreciated as my wardrobe consists of shorts and tanks!


Keep running friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment