Thursday, December 3, 2015

I Admit, I Have Fallen in Love...

With trail running. There, I said it, everyone knows. Trail running is like running roads on steroids.

The soft, luscious Earth squishing beneath your feet and making way for many types of landscapes; sand, grass, leaves, ponds. Deer bounding across your path and tortoises smiling beneath their shells. Chirps of birds and crickets ringing like music to your ears along with the swoosh of the trees giving way to a gentle breeze. Time does not happen here. Earth rotates a little more slowly.

Thanks to a friends suggestion, I recently took my day off to explore Lake Louisa State Park towards Clermont in Central Florida. It costs $4 to enter, and boasts 7 miles of paved roads, 20+ miles of trails, primitive and tent/camper camping, lakes to swim in, wildlife, it's fantastic. Coming 2 days post half marathon I set out for a quick easy run but by the time I was done I was shocked that I had run 8 miles. I have never gotten lost in the absolute joy of running. Road running is hard to "get lost" in. You have mile markers in your mind of where you are, traffic to watch out for, other pedestrians and pollution. Yet on a trail all that encompasses your mind is the sounds of nature, sights, and your own thoughts. It is much more primal running on a trail like our ancestors did, whom did not stop to cross streets or run according to per mile pacing. They ran out of need, and out of desire.

To me, trail running is like a slice of birthday cake at a party. The feelings of the change of ground from grass to sand, the soft roll of the Earth, the trees whispering sweet nothings, deer perking up to say hello, and a game of hop scotch hopping over tree roots is nothing short of fantastic.




Since that first date with the forest here, I have returned twice for a 12 & 15 mile run I did mostly on the paved trails to more closely mimic the roads for my marathon. But I did sneak off into the trails for a few glorious miles.

Trails however require a different shoe for your best run. I ordered a pair of Brooks Cascadias which are more minimal that my overly cushioned Saucony Triumphs to allow my feet to better grip the trails, and I can't wait to strap those babies on for a test run!




A part of me I never before knew with running is out and so happy. Trails please my soul; being alone, in nature, doing my primal thing just soothes me to an extent I cannot describe. I know my soul is happy in a cooler more wilderness climate and I hope my future soon takes me to that happy little place.

Keep running friends, hit the trails!


No comments:

Post a Comment